And Now Some Words from My Son, Mark

You saw my son in the video about the temple. He was reading my blog and noticed the questions from Ms. Youngberg’s class. He decided to answer some of them himself. He did such a nice job in the comment section that I thought everyone should see what he wrote in the main blog. The rest of this post is from my son. He even included some Korean characters. at the bottom of the post, I included some photos from a store in Seoul called Kakao, sort of like our Disney store with popular toys. To read about these characters from the photos, go here: Kakao Friends.

—————————————–

영버그 선생님의 학생 여러분, 안녕하세요!

That says “Hello, Ms. Youngberg’s 4th grade class!”

This is Mark, Ms. B’s son in Seoul Korea. Right now it’s lunchtime Tuesday here in Seoul, but the Vikings are playing (they’re winning!) on Monday Night Football right now! How can it be daytime here when it’s nighttime in Minnesota? Well, Korea is on the other side of the planet! So when the sun is shining on Korea, it’s nighttime in Minnesota! If you try shining a flashlight on a ball, maybe you can see how part of the ball is in a shadow. That’s basically what’s happening on the Earth all the time!

Anyway, my mom answered your questions but I wanted to say something too.

“How long has your son been living in Korea? ”
Well, when I was in 5th grade at Highland Elementary, I had a chance to learn how to speak some words in Russian at a weekend activity at school. I thought that was pretty fun to speak another language and be able to talk to some other people I could meet in the world. Then when I went to Scott Highlands, I took Spanish, and it was REALLY fun because there are some Spanish language TV stations on in the Twin Cities, and after a while I could watch those TV programs and actually understand it! And, from those stations, I could understand how other people in the world lived their lives differently, and thought very differently, compared to Americans and Minnesotans. Well, I love America and Minnesota, but It’s really fun and amazing to learn about how other people live and think! Sometimes you can find fun and cool things that don’t even exist in America! When I went to college, I made friends with a lot of Asian Americans, and many of them were Korean. My Korean friend was born in America and he really wanted to learn to speak his parents’ language, so he took a Korean class, and invited me to take it too. So I did! And I have been speaking and writing and typing Korean since then!

Korea is very interesting. In some ways, they have things here that come from America, for example there are pizza restaurants and they love baseball. Students in 4th grade until middle school love to play Minecraft. However, there are many things that are not in America. For example, almost no one here likes American football. (Actually almost no one cares about American football outside of America!) Also, going to the doctor is WAYYY cheaper than in the United States. And here… students in 5th grade usually have about 3-4 hours of homework every night. And many of them go to after-school academies to study math and English for another 3-4 hours after school. They study like crazy and they are too tired! And no time for PS4! Anyway, there are many things I miss about America. But, it’s really fun and interesting to be in another country!

“How long does it take for Yoon to walk to school each day?”

One interesting thing about Yoon’s walk to school is that she never has to cross a big street to get there. In this part of Seoul, which is called Gangnam (maybe some of you know the song called Gangnam Style? It’s named for this area!)… there are really huge buildings and tons of people, but the blocks are really huge compared to in Minnesota or even downtown Minneapolis. If you walked just two blocks, at a normal speed, it would take you about 45 minutes! The streets at the outside of the blocks are very busy and there are cars driving very fast, with usually a 6-lane street. Inside the huge blocks, there are smaller streets with no sidewalk, where people walk on the same street where cars are. You can see in the picture of Yoon and her father that they are walking on one of these streets and there is no sidewalk. And at that moment there are no cars. So, on the outside of the block, it’s really busy, but as you get closer and closer to the center of the huge block, it’s very quiet and peaceful. Maybe you live in a place where your parents have to drive you to the store, or to a restaurant. Well, in Seoul, you really never have to drive because there are stores and restaurants within 5 minutes from your front door. This is pretty cool and convenient… but also there are TONS of people everywhere and the city is very dense. Almost no one has a house, and almost all people live in very tall apartment buildings. It’s hard to find nature around here… that’s one of the things I miss the most about life in America!

I’m glad you guys are interested in other parts of the world! Actually the most interesting places are outside of the USA because they are so different from what you would expect! Many of you have parents who were born outside of the United States, or maybe you were, and that is just awesome! I hope you can share some interesting things about that country and culture with your classmates. And I hope everyone has a chance to try some Korean barbecue, and other foods from different countries… the taste can be unexpected but it’s really delicious! Actually there are some Korean restaurants in Eagan!

Have a good day, everyone.

마크 (Mark)

In this photo, Mark is in a Korean store that is sort of like a Disney store in the US. It sells toys and figures of the Kakao friends.
I took this photo in the Kakao store. To read about this characters, go to this link: https://www.kakaofriends.com/en/character
I took this photo in the Kakao store.

9 thoughts on “And Now Some Words from My Son, Mark

1. Hi Ms.Barthelemy, I love those characters! I draw them at home, sometimes they don’t turn out good,LOL! I’m in Ms.Youngberg’s class, I’m a BIG fan of Asia because my mom and dad were born in the Philippines. I hope you go to the Philippines, I will be so happy! -Franchesca

• I went to the Philippines when I lived in Asia before and I loved it! I stayed at a place called Alona Beach near Bohol. The sand was white and the water was clear and all in all it was breathtakingly beautiful!

You’ll have to wait and see where I am going on my Asian adventure.

Thanks for writing!

• My mom and dad are from the capital, Manila. I ever to Bohol. I have a lot for cousins in Manila. I came to the Phlilppines 2 times, one for my first b-day and two see my family back there. I was 5 years old. -Franchesca 🍪

2. Wow! Thank you for this great post! We were so excited to see your letter to us. We talked all about Korean BBQ and how we hope to try some soon. We think it is so cool that you learned how to speak Korean, how long did it take you to speak fluently? In Ms. Youngberg’s class we have students who all together can speak over 10 different languages! We have been lucky to learn some of the languages from each other and we can’t wait to learn more. We watched your most recent video and we are guessing that you are in Thailand. We can’t wait to see your next video! From Ms. Youngberg’s 4th Grade class!

3. Dear Ms Youngberg’s class, I think you might have been talking to me (Mark)!

“We think it is so cool that you learned how to speak Korean, how long did it take you to speak fluently?”

When I started learning Korean, I was a college student. Actually, the Korean alphabet is super easy to learn! Are any of you guys good at memorizing stuff, and games like Memory? If so, I bet you could learn to read the Korean alphabet and read Korean words out loud after about TWO DAYS. The language is really cool. I’ll teach you something now. See this thing…

That is like an “A.” BUT! you don’t say it like “ayyy” you say it like “ahhh”

Now look at this one

It’s like a little box. It makes exactly the same sound as our “M”. So the sound when you see it is “mmmmm”.

Therefore, let’s put the two of them together.

Can anyone figure out what that says?

What about this?

마마

If you can figure it out, then congratulations, because you already learned two characters in the Korean alphabet! (I’ll give you a hint if you’re having trouble figuring it out: what does a baby call her female parent?)

Here is another one.

It kinda looks like the first one, but it is pointing down instead. You can read this by saying “oooooo” like loop or soup or woo.

So check this out… what does this say? Notice that in Korean, sometimes letters go left to right, but sometimes they go up to down!

(I’ll give you a hint… above is what a cow says.)

Now what about this?

무 마 무 무 마
    무 무 마 마
    마 무 마 무

Can anyone say that correctly?

Guess what that means?

Well… it doesn’t mean anything.

But I bet it’s fun to say!

Wow, you already know 3 characters! I’ll teach you just two more.

that one is like a box with two ears. It makes a sound like “b”

that one looks like a capital L doesn’t it? But there aren’t any L’s in Korean! It might seem weird to you, but this one actually makes a sound like “n”.

So who can read this?

나 나 부 부

And what about this?

바 나 나

Hint: It’s a fruit that’s the color of the middle light in a stoplight…

If you got the above word, then guess what? YOU CAN READ WORDS IN KOREAN because that’s the real Korean word for “banana!”

So if you were a hungry baby, what could you say to your mom in Korean if you wanted some fruit?

마 마 … 바 나 나 !!!

You already learned 5 letters in Korean! That’s pretty good! There’s only 19 more to go! If you can read the characters then you can learn some words after that. For me, it took me a short time to learn how to read the characters. But it took me a very long time to speak the language well. I studied it for 2 years in college, then I lived here in Korea for a long time. Living here was what made me speak it very well!

Hi Franchesca! Kumusta ka na? (That is the only Filipino language I know.) I have many Filipino friends. I’m surprised you already know Kakao Friends characters! My favorite is Con, the baby alligator, because he is so tiny compared to the other ones, and he is really simple to draw.

Bye!

Mark

• My mom said that it means how are you, I’m not that good at speaking Filipino. I just know some,
      -Franchesca