Dubai: Dune-bashing, Diwali Lights and New Friends

I don’t know if there are two cities more different than Mumbai and Dubai (even though they both end with the same three letters.)

Mumbai is crowded and buildings are older. Not everyone is poor, but poverty is everywhere. People set up temporary houses on sidewalks. Mumbai is more colorful and interesting.

Dubai is a rich country because of gas and oil and you see tons of new construction everywhere. It isn’t as crowded because it has fewer people and more space. The roads are newer and I saw more fancy cars. (I even got to ride in a Rolls Royce!)

One thing the cities have in common is air pollution. In Mumbai it is because there are just so many people. In Dubai, it is because of factories, big cars, oil refineries and dust storms. I was surprised to learn that in 2015, United Arab Emirates (UAE) was named the most polluted country in the world. It has over double the amount of pollutants in the air compared to India.

Omar is the man who drove the SUV when we went dune bashing. Do you agree that he has a great job? Imagine if your job was to take people out to the desert every day and drive crazily up and down the sand dunes. I tried to take a video while I was inside the SUV, but that was impossible.  We were moving too fast. So many times it felt as though we were going to tip over. You may have seen that on the video. Sliding down the sand dune on that wide ski was more exciting than it looked too. I watched the others in my group do it, but I didn’t think I would. Then, of course, I realized that I HAD to do it for my video. I didn’t want to let you down by missing out on something!

The dune bashing was so much fun in this SUV!

One night I went on a tour of an area in Dubai. The Hindu festival of lights called Diwali (or as some call it Deepawali) was happening soon. Everywhere I looked I saw colorful lights in homes to celebrate the holiday.

This is just one example of the many lights for Diwali in the Hindu neighborhood of Dubai.
This is the flag of the United Arab Emirates. It contains the Pan-Arab colors red, green, white and black. They stand for Arabian Unity.

One of the most special parts of my whole trip was meeting the family from Iraq. I was supposed to meet a friend in the gold souk, but my phone didn’t work without wifi. I needed to talk on the phone to set up a meeting spot. I asked a bunch of people where I could find a restaurant or store with wifi, but everyone told me there weren’t any in the souk.

Then this friendly man heard me asking people. He told me I could use the hot spot from his phone. At first, I wasn’t sure if I should talk to him, because most of the people who approached me in the souk wanted to sell me something. However, I soon realized he was just being sincerely helpful. He invited me to sit on a bench with his wife and two sons while I contacted my friend. We started talking and I learned that he used to have a good job in technology in Iraq. However, there was so much fighting going on in their country, the family decided they had to leave in order to be safe. They all really missed Iraq, but they knew it was not a good place to be at this time.

Sadly, they didn’t feel welcomed in Dubai. Because of that they were going to go to Istanbul, Turkey. They had some family and friends living there already and someone had offered the dad a good job working with technology.

They had a car nearby and offered to take me back across the water to the place where I was going to meet my friend. On the drive we talked more and I learned about how difficult it was for them to leave their home country. They said they would write to me when they got settled back in Istanbul. They even invited me to visit them there. I don’t recommend that you talk to strangers if you are alone, but remember that I am an adult.

One of the best parts of my trip was meeting friendly people from all over the world!

Do you know anyone who had to leave their home country because it wasn’t safe or because the parents couldn’t find a good job? Can you imagine how hard it would be to leave your home and all of your friends and relatives? Can you imagine how they would feel trying to settle in to a new country with different customs and a new language? Maybe you have a classmate who had to leave their country for one of the reasons I mentioned above. How could you make them feel welcome in Minnesota?

Please write with your questions or comments.

Ms. Barthelemy

12 thoughts on “Dubai: Dune-bashing, Diwali Lights and New Friends

1. If I got to chose which one to ride I would ride the car! It looks like a lot of fun! The 3 emotions I would be doing the whole time would be …..
    1.😮 Screaming
    2.😂 Crying of fun
    3.😖 About to puke
    Did you get to go in the car?
    Have fun!!!!!😁

• Hi McKenzie!
      Of course, I went in the SUV! I yelled a bit and sort of felt sick to my stomach, but I didn’t cry. It really was a lot of fun and I am glad I tried it. The only bad part was near the end of the ride when Omar, the driver, went really fast over one of the dunes and we landed really hard. My back was sore for a couple of days!

Ms. B

• A Go Pro would have been a great idea, but I don’t think I could have kept my head pointed in the right direction anyway.

• The camel is a “beast of burden”. That means that camels are animals that are meant to carry people and supplies. For hundreds and even thousands of years they have carried people and their things across the desert. That is why I didn’t feel bad about riding a camel.
      Ms. B

2. Dear Mrs. Barthelemy

That car ride looked scary. And did you go on the roller coaster? But I have a connection to the the water place me my mom and my sister went on a boat ride ther and the water looked really crazy. But I hope to see were you go next.

P.S. The camel ride looked fun hope you write back

• The camel ride really wasn’t scary except for when the camel first stood up. I didn’t go on the roller coaster because that city was about 90 minutes away and I just didn’t have time to go there. Where did you go on the boat ride?

3. Wow! Really cool! I feel bad for the Iraqi family. I think that they might not be welcomed much in this world because of their religion. Just because SOME of the people in their religion are bad doesn’t mean they’re ALL bad. Its called stereotypeing and stereotypeing is bad. -NZ

• Yes, Nick, stereotyping IS really bad! However, in many countries, such as Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Turkey and all of the countries in the Middle East, nearly everyone is Muslim. I think that is why my friends from Iraq plan to go back to Istanbul, Turkey to live.

4. That looked like a fun place to visit! Asia has a lot of amazing tourist attractions! I’m very glad the camels aren’t treated like the elephants! What is your favorite destination so far? Can’t wait to see your next video/blog!

• Hi Avery!

I don’t think I can pick a favorite spot as they are all so different. I truly did like every single one. Seoul was where I spent time with my son. In Hong Kong I revisited some favorite places and great friends. Koh Samui was perfect for relaxing. KL was full of wonderful food, special friends and some new friends. Do you see what I mean? I just cannot pick one “favorite”!