Wonderful Mumbai

When you watch my videos and learn about new places, do you want to travel yourself? ย The world is such an amazing place with so many wonderful places to see and people to meet! I hope you get to learn that for yourself some day! Sorry that I got behind on my blog posts, but I didn’t always have a computer handy. Today I want to tell you a little more about Mumbai, India.

Mumbai has over 12 million people. It is definitely one of the noisiest, most crowded, and dirtiest cities I have ever seen. It is also the most colorful and the most interesting and most peopleย who live there work pretty hard. As I showed you on my video, you would never run out of new things to see in Mumbai. The water buffalo and the calf I saw really surprised me and made me laugh. Both of them areย bovines, which means they are cows or cattle. I saw a lot of cows roaming around the city, even in busy traffic.

This photo of my with the water buffalo walking down a busy street in Mumbai is one of my favorite photos from my whole trip
This photo of me with the water buffalo walking down a busy street in Mumbai is one of my favorite photos from my whole trip.

The water in Mumbai and other big cities in India is full of pollution and bacteria. People who have lived there for a long time are able to drink the water because their bodies have gotten used to it and can fight the infections. My body wouldn’t have been used to it. Even at my friends’ home, I had to be very careful not to drink water from the faucet. I even had to use bottled water to brush my teeth and rinse out my toothbrush. If I drank tap water,ย I could have gotten very sick.

indian-flag-story-size_647_081515021254
The Indian flag is orange, white and green with a navy blue 24-spoked wheel in the middle. I saw it everywhere.

I felt very lucky that my friends had a driver named Ganesh who could take me around from place to place. Otherwise, I could have taken a taxi or a rickshaw, but that would have been tricky since I didn’t know where I was going! Rickshaws have three wheels. There is one seat in the front for the driver and the passengers sit in the back. I wouldn’t want to ride one in Mumbai because the traffic is so crazy with cars, buses, rickshaws, animals, and even people walking. One day a young boy walking home from school kept passing us up as we rode in the car because the traffic just wasn’t moving fast at all!

img_0598
This is an Indian rickshaw. They call them “tuk-tuks” in Thailand.

Do you have any questions about my video on Mumbai? Please write to me and I will do my best to answer them.

Ms. Barthelemy

6 thoughts on “Wonderful Mumbai

1. Was it weird to ride on 3 wheels?๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘Œ๐ŸปDo u like the food?๐Ÿ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŠ๐Ÿ‹๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ๐ŸŒถ๐Ÿ–๐ŸŒฝ๐Ÿž๐ŸŸ๐Ÿ–๐ŸŒฎIs it hard to understand people there?๐Ÿ‘ฑ๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ๐Ÿ‘ฑ๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘ง๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘ฆ๐ŸผWhen you come back I hope you visit Highland.โœ๏ธ๐Ÿ“๐Ÿ–๐Ÿ–Œโœ‚๏ธ๐Ÿ“Ž๐Ÿ–‡โœ’๏ธ๐Ÿ–‹๐Ÿ–Š

• Great questions, Katie! I didn’t ride the rickshaws with the three wheels this time, but I have ridden in the them many times in the past and it really isn’t all that weird. It CAN be a little bit scary when the traffic is as busy as it is in Mumbai though. I didn’t used to like Indian food that much, but I am really starting to enjoy it more now. I learned that food is different in different parts of India, and I really enjoyed some of the food I had from southern India. I hope I can find some of it in Minnesota. It is surprising how many people speak English in India, but it can still be tricky to understand them as they have a very different accent. At first I had to listen really carefully to the driver, Ganesh, for example, but then I sort of got used to the way he talked and was able to understand him easier. I will definitely be visiting Highland in the near future. I look forward to meeting you then. Who is your teacher?
      Ms. Barthelemy

• India is a treasure trove of sights and sounds. And, yes, it is a bit crazy! Glad you are still reading my blog. I look forward to meeting you when I visit Highland sometime soon.
      Ms. B

2. Have you heard of the tuk-tuk travelers? The tuk-tuk travelers are two British men traveling the world in tuk-tuks promoting education! They’re really cool!

• Wow! I had not heard of them, but just found them online. Thanks for telling me about the Tuk-Tuk Travelers! How did you know about them? I love how you are interested in learning all about the world, Nick!